Here are the things I’m geeking out about in February:
- “Batman on Robin” art exhibition at Mission: Comics and Art – It was a great exhibition, if you’re in the area I would definitely suggest stopping by. It’s a quick exhibit but well curated. Warning: some of the art is of an explicit nature.
- Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards – Great examination of how to unlock the creative potential in your right brain. Not finished yet, but it’s very fascinating stuff and could apply to many disciplines not just drawing.
- Etiquette & Espionage (Finishing School) by Gail Carriger – Already loving it as much as the Parasol Protectorate. It’s YA, but every bit as witty and well written as her adult series. It is set earlier but in the same shared steampunk universe where Vampires and Werewolves are “out” in society. You can get a free preview of it on Kindle now, which is an awesome idea in my opinion. But I went ahead and bought the whole thing because I knew I’d love it. Update: Finished it this morning and immediately wanted to read the next! Full review of the book coming later.
- Fringe by J.J. Abrams – Just started watching this for the first time (so please no spoilers).
How did I just discover this show?! Totally addicted now and sped through the first season in one weekend, luckily watching that much TV didn’t liquify my brain. I’m in LOVE with Olivia as a strong female character, who’s complex and uber confident without being overly masculine or unemotional. As a friend pointed out while discussing her excellent characterization, you could change Olivia’s character to a man and nothing in the show would need to change! That’s how women should be written, as well written HUMAN characters.
- Geek Valentines! You can find them every where on the internet right now. What better way to tell the most important nerd in your life how much you <3 them than to say it with your favorites characters. I’ve seen them floating around Pinterest in every flavor of the geek rainbow, but I still love last year’s Skyrim inspired valentine that said: I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow to the heart!
What are you geeking out on this month? Books, movies, tv shows, museums, plays, etc. Tell me in the comments what I should be checking out and maybe I’ll do a full review of your suggestion!
Note: I’ll keep this post updated as the month goes on. (Btw comics I’m currently reading will go in a separate post, so if you want to know what’s on my pull list keep an eye out for that.)